Tuesday, November 25, 2014
WOW! How is November almost over and Thanksgiving just two days away? I wanted to share today's post before I head out to run a zillion errands. There's lots to love lately.....Here is a round up of my current favorites!
1. I have a fireplace and I'm going to light it for the first time on Thursday! Everything about a fire instantly warms up a home. This simple screen is the one I'd like to have...
2. You can't go wrong with a little suede bootie. I live in them all winter season. This is the Fulton by TB. Adorbs! ;)
3. Art work brings depth and a personal touch to your living space. I discovered this piece by artist Kindah Khalidy on Furbish Studio yesterday.
4. J. Crew is having a 30% off your entire purchase sale today. This cozy look is adorable...buy all the pieces here. (Have I mentioned I am slightly obsessed with vests?)
5. So TRUE! I admit, I love staying in and relaxing.....especially by a fire with a glass of wine and a good movie.
6. I think I found a new favorite designer. These pieces by Martin Grant are both sophisticated and sexy = a winning combo no doubt! I wish I had a dressy event to wear this belted bustier top to this winter!!
Monday, November 24, 2014
I am however going to mix my colors up a bit. I was out scouting over the weekend and think I am going to combine the two floral looks below. The orange roses will be deeper and richer in color.
My kids and I also gilded pumpkins yesterday. They loved it and I was really happy with the results! The smaller pumpkins are going to be used as place setting markers and I may guild the stems today.
|I am using these dishes on top of my china. They are from a family collection and are Spode, pattern: Florence. I'm loving the fretwork pattern and brown color!! Finally I had a couple of people ask for the stuffing recipe I use. I mentioned it is from the old school Better Homes and Garden's cookbook! I combine these two, double it and add a bit more spices and of course more BUTTER!!!|
3 Tablespns chopped onion (I also use celery)
1/4 cup butter
4 cups bread cubes (about 7 slices of bread)
1/4 teaspn salt
1/4 t pepper
1/2 t poultry seasoning
1/2 t sage
2-4 T water or chicken broth
Cook onion and celery in butter. Combine w bread and seasonings. Toss with enough broth to moisten. Makes enough for 3-4 lb chicken. You have to at least quadruple the recipe.
12 cups slightly dry bread cubes
1/3 cup snipped parsley
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
11/2 teasp salt
1 teasp sage
1 teasp thyme
1 teach dried rosemary ( more if you use fresh)
6 T butter
1 cup chicken broth.
Makes enough for one 12 lb turkey. I usually double this recipe Also use celery. And adjust seasonings to taste, often using a little more than the above recipes.
Sunday, November 23, 2014
I thought I'd share a holiday gift guide today!! Cause who doesn't love to sit at the computer and get some of their holiday shopping done on a lazy Sunday? Here is a round up of some of my favorite beauty products. These are great as presents, grab gifts or even stocking stuffers!! Click on images below to purchase... I'm getting ready to guild the pumpkins, with my kiddies, for my Thanksgiving Day dinner and upcoming photo shoot.
1. My sister bought this BaByliss blow dryer and swears by it, she said it cuts down on frizz and drying time. Her hair looks extra silky lately. I need one!
2. This Dior face powder would make any woman feel like a princess.
3. I also have Baby lips lip glosses with me.
4. I have read that if you use any intense face cream, an eye cream is the one to go with!
5. Nars, super orgasm lip gloss is my go to.
6. My sis gave me this eye shadow set for my B-day. All of the colors work together. It's perfection!
7. Often times people don't buy themselves useful gifts. A really nice powder or blush brush would make a wonderful surprise.
8. I am a moisturizing fanatic, especially in the winter. This handcream both moisturizes and blocks the sun. Yuor hands are one of the first things to age, protect them!!
9. A Butter nail polish set would be a fun gift!
10. This is the scent I wear everyday!! Tocca - Colette. I have tried many but this is by far my favorite. I receive compliments on it all the time!
11. Again, I'm huge on moisturizing. I am due for a mask!
Happy Sunday! I hope it is a relaxing one.
Posted by My name: Julie My design firm: SHELTER at 11/23/2014
Friday, November 21, 2014
|My blog and work is pretty telling, I love color! That however doesn't mean I don't have an appreciation and love of neutrals too. I'm drawn to neutral palettes that include a variety of textures and finishes. Fashion designer, Jenni Kayne's , rustic Los Angeles home is a stunning mix of sculptural objects and sophisticated colors and textures. I would love a textural white window seat like the one she is sitting in. Jenni also has a fashion line of clothing, be sure to check it out here and here. Have a great weekend!! I'm off to gather together more items for my Thanksgiving table and photo shoot next week. I'm excited to see how it turns out!! Images: via PopSugar and One King's Lane.|
|Little buckets are a great place to store crayons, pencils and chalk!|
Thursday, November 20, 2014
|'Tis the season!! It really snuck up on me this year! I'm excited to share all my planned gift guides and I'm also really in the mood to shop for others!! I've started with one of my favorite guides for her, The Classics. You really can't go wrong with this look for most women/girls. It is timeless.|
I consider my style classic with an edge. I, for instant, mix fitted leather pants with classic tops and/or edgy boots with skinny jeans. Add a pair to this gift guide and you're good to go. The jean fit and brand that works with my booty and muscular legs best are Rag and Bone jeans. (photo below) I will never be rail thin because of my body type and I also love to cook and enjoy food too much! As for the gift ideas above, simply click the image below to purchase!! Happy Shopping! I'm excited to plan early and for the holiday season this year!! xx
#4. I live in my quilted riding jacket similar to this one!!! The price is great too!!
#9. PS. The Saint Laurent purse isn't linking correctly. The correct link is here! It's so chic!!
Wednesday, November 19, 2014
I woke up to a 25 degree morning here in the burbs of Boston. The warm spell was fun while it lasted!! I am now gearing up for the chilly months ahead. Here is what's on my radar this week. I'm big on cozy clothes, homes and welcoming lighting!!
1. I'm loving all the tartan plaid scarfs around this season!! You can't go wrong with plaid this time of the year.
2. I am loving this faux fur hat and the price tag.
3. I'm always trying to keep my hair as shiny and healthy as possible. I want to try this shampoo!
4. Love the idea of a simple vanity set up in lieu of a table or dresser next to the bed.
5. I don't agree with everything Coco did, but I usually love her quotes!
6. Wow, I've got to use this new dandelion light fixture from Remains Lighting.
Posted by My name: Julie My design firm: SHELTER at 11/19/2014
Tuesday, November 18, 2014
Tory Burch's coffee table book came out last month. I recently purchased a copy for a client. I couldn't resist the cover and the inside is equally as beautiful. It's filled with photos of Tory's influences and is organized by color. Tory explores the meaning of color with gorgeous images of her collections, homes, travels and icons. There are interviews throughout and lots of eye candy to devour. I will be putting this one on my Christmas list!
Posted by My name: Julie My design firm: SHELTER at 11/18/2014
Monday, November 17, 2014
|Eddie Ross via Lonny.|
I am pulling together some of my Thanksgiving table ideas this week. As you know I am hosting and also going to have a photo shoot of the end results! Here are some of my thoughts and favorite ideas. The above image of the table setting is so well executed, I love it!
1. I'm picking up some pretty flowers along with (hopefully) some wheat and magnolia leaves for the setting.
2. I'm going to guild pumpkins with my children this weekend. I'm thinking of partially dipping them instead.
3. I love gold flatware. Similar set here.
4. You can't forget the wine glasses. This PB set is classic with a twist.
5. I love and hope to purchase this Juliska dish-ware someday!! It would be a perfect addition to any holiday table.
6. I purchased a very similar set of vintage Culver glassware for the table. Etsy is a great source for vintage items. It's always nice to mix up your home and table with one of a kind pieces.
7. I will also be using beautiful beeswax candles from creative candles.
It's still not too late to order items for your holiday table!!! I'm looking forward to sharing my table with you all!
Posted by My name: Julie My design firm: SHELTER at 11/17/2014
Friday, November 14, 2014
TGIF! I've decided I need a bit of sparkle in my life! It seems I've mysteriously developed asthma (have never had it) since I had my Mohs surgery on my nose. Strange? Yes! Annoying, Yes! In any case, I am literally praying it passes and carry an inhaler every where. I certainly have an appreciation for all the poor people who suffer from it?! Awful.
Onto the fun part of the post.....How cute are these sequined pants? You can pair them with virtually any simple top and a pair of sandals. No sandals? You need a pair pronto. They are a closet staple and look fab dressed up or with jeans!! xx - have a great weekend!
Here's a high and low version of the look!!
1. Milly pant
3. Joie gilded sandal
2. Urban Oufitter pant
3. Shutz sandal
Thursday, November 13, 2014
|Lauren Conrad = actress, fashion designer and blogger's home was featured in InStyle magazine a while back. I love the carefree mix of color, texture and vintage finds. And THAT BAR??? To die for! I am in the process of styling my own bar area, don't think vintage glassware with gilded details won't be part of the mix. Lauren is best known for her role in the show, The Hills (2006-2010). She also pens a blog full of beauty, fashion and decor tips. Lauren designs a very chic fashion line, Paper-Crown as well. She's a busy girl....|
Here is a peek inside Lauren's design offices. images via.